Monday 20 December 2010

Christmas : Fast Forward IV

And MrsM did decorate the tree by herself and she was mightily surprised how quickly you can decorate a tree if no-one is arguing about which branch the mouse decorations go on. Verily, she thought, I can do this all by myself but then she came to the tricky bit where she had to decide on the position of the garlands of silver balls and she did wish MissM was there to guide her. And finally MrsM woke up the porcelain angel who slept all year wrapped in her satin wings so that she could hang in her alloted place at the top of the tree. And then MrsM did step back and see that it was acceptable and was glad that she had not given in to her inclination to sit on the sofa all evening.

12 comments:

  1. Alice you'll never believe this we have the self-same angel on the top of our tree - I bought it from Harrods in 1986 and she has graced my tree ever since - well what a coincidence - our tree is sitting in its net in the conservatory waiting for the man of the house to trim its bottom and fix it into its stand ready to bring into the living room tonight to be decorated - then all the old favourites I've collected over the years will come out of the box along with my angel to be ooohed and aaahed over as we remember each one in turn

    ReplyDelete
  2. We decorated our tree last night, too. K x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its the start of Christnas when the Angel goes up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. there is of course a final angel that MissM puts up which should take place this evening, DV

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen..... and well done.

    Would MrsM like to share that impulse to get something useful actually done, rather than moaned about? I can't muster up any enthusiasm for any of it, and fear that Christmas will be a half-baked affair this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am always fascinated by traditions all over the world and timing.
    We put up our tree on Dec 8th around here, and take it down after Jan 6th because these are landmark holidays which traditionally open and close the CHristmas holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ours looks a bit like someone opened the box of decorations and threw them at one side of the tree.

    Oh, wait, that's what did happen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have fallen out of love with my Christmas tree. But sherry still has my seasonal affection.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I decorated on my own, too, which was just as well--as it was pretty much boxes and boxes of mushrooms. Nobody else in this family understands my sickness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes solo decorating here too. Poignant but peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! Solo decorating here, too -- and it did go much more quickly than I had expected.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.