Tuesday 5 March 2013

We built a community

apron by Gina

Let's look back to the very beginning of Blogland
a time when blogs were basic,
formatting sometimes went awry,
photographs were occasionally out of focus
but we were all learning together.

quilt by Tracy

Every day we would hang out
in each other's comment boxes,
enjoying Emma's new baby,
the fact that Ali was learning to knit,
Val was balancing work and home
and I had just started a new job.

basket by Val

Fast-forward five years...
we have developed in different ways
but we are all still here,
our friendship based on shared experience
and a respect for each others achievements.
It is a true community.

blanket by Lucy

And now out of that community
has come something truly extraordinary:
The Red Nose Day Dolls
a fundraising project
created by Emma and Ros...
and a list of craftswomen
that grows longer every day.

shawl by Annie

Red Nose Day dolls
Read all about them
Follow them on twitter
Donate to the project
Bid for them on eBay

clothes by Julie

They are raising money for Comic Relief
which works to transform lives in Africa
and closer to home in the UK.


But it is more than that...
this is a community of women
offering their time, their skills,
wanting to be part of a collaborative project.
I am in awe of what we created back then
with our blogs, our comments and emails,
our willingness to share our lives.

I'm so very proud of you all.

*****

images:
I have borrowed these images
from the Red Nose Day blog.
Emma and Ros, I hope you don't mind,
I would have preferred to ask permission
so let me know if there is a problem
.

11 comments:

  1. I've been watching that project grow and grow and grow. I hope the bidding will, also! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Borrow away.

    I am having a bit of a moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love it when you sum up what I've been thinking i a more articulate and generous way than I ever could! When people ask me why I blog, I shall ask them to read this post. N xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy has already said it, but as always you manage with your words to bring it all together and sum up what this community means to us all. Thank you Alice

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful words Alice x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nail firmly hit on head, Mrs M.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving your community as my daily reads are you - lovely Alice, Lucy and Annie. So glad I can eavesdrop on your chat and admire your lovely socks. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely post missus. As always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This creative community is a truly wonderful thing to be a part of for sure. It has changed my life in so many ways, and every day I give thanks for the land of Blog xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like Emma I'm having a moment after reading this, like Nancy and Gina I can only thank you for expressing so eloquently what I feel.

    I showed your post to my daughter, her comment ... "Girl power rules!"

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.