Friday 19 April 2013

No man is an island


We have been away.

We found sunshine, good food and time together as a family. I am very grateful for all of those things, especially the time together, and this was thrown into sharp relief by the news of the bomb attack in Boston.

I immediately thought of my friend, Naomi, who has just moved to that beautiful city, and of my readers who live there, or have family and friends who are affected.

Keep safe, my friends, keep safe.

*****

No Man Is An Island


No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

John Donne

2 comments:

  1. 400 hundred years and yet humanity is still the same - all inexorably linked whether we wish it or not. The thought, too, that anyone of us could one day be standing within range of a bomb or caught up in some other awful accident, behoves us all to be involved in mankind rather than pursuing our own selfish ends. Only Donne could put it so succinctly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you had the chance of spending quality time with your loved ones. It appears we must cherish every split second, savour it and be thankful. Because we are extremely lucky to have them with us. My heart is with everyone affected but it truly hurts thinking about the Richard family ...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.