Monday 22 September 2014

family history

"[He] was the first boy who ever kissed me, I was about eleven and he was two years younger than me, quite short and thin, so it was a bit of a shock. And then he sent me a letter at school! My dear it wasn't very well written, all splodgy and terrible spelling mistakes! The teachers were furious, I can remember Miss Millington shouting at me while we ran around the games pitch because it was very shocking to get a letter from a boy even if he was the brother of my school friend. There were very strict rules about letters: on Sunday you wrote to your parents and on Thursday you could write to your parents and someone else from an approved list of ten addresses and the envelopes had to be left unsealed so that the teachers could check what you had written. I was mortified, absolutely mortified, to get such a splodgy letter. Of course, he is a millionaire now."

Granny's memories of boarding school 1948 - 1956

8 comments:

  1. Of course he is. And I'll be this letters are still splodgy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. **bet his **

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah - the days of letter writing - where have they gone - splodgy or not it was still nice to receive them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great punchline Granny. I must brush up my memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these perks into your granny's memories.
    And, of course he is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that Granny was so completely mortified to receive a letter that was not up to standard. And those rules. A different time, but one that produced unexpected millionaires....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of the school requiring letters to be checked before they were posted. Who knew education could be so censorious?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boarding schools, eh?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.