Tuesday 14 May 2013

an everyday miracle




As I left campus tonight I saw a Chinese student standing under an apple tree. She was looking upwards into the blossom as though she was seeing it for the first time. There was a stillness, a total absorption in the moment, and I had the sense that she was seeing in exquisite detail the delicate shades of pink, the curves of the petals, the bright stamens. It may be that this student has never seen apple blossom before but this year after such a long winter I think we have all felt wonder and gratitude for these everyday miracles.

8 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 14, 2013

    Pretty pictures, with the increasing green! Very encouraging.
    Non-anonymous Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. the apple blossom is not out here yet, but I am waiting for my miracle. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. with a yellow warning for rain today here in Somerset and temperatures plummeting sufficiently for them to forecast snow in the Forest of Dean I'm afraid the winter seems well and truly back to stay here in the West Country - yeuch!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came in from the garden yesterday and said I have never seen such a profusion of blossom on the apple trees. Sadly, and scarily, no bees yet.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousMay 14, 2013

    We don't take enough time to simply look and wonder at the beauty that nature provides.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I whole heartily agree.
    You reminded me of a favorite quote:

    "Always be
    on the lookout
    for the presence
    of wonder.

    E.B. White

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.