Monday 25 July 2011

Widecombe-in-the-Moor

And on the fourth day of their holiday
MrsM said to MrM
"Is it STILL raining?"
and MrM said to MrsM
"No, don't worry...
that is the splashing sound
of someone washing the roof."

And gloom settled damply upon them.

And so MrM and MrsM found a wayside inn
with flagstones, low beams,
excellent food and local cider
and lo, the rain did not seem quite so wet.

And when they came out the rain had stopped
and they congratulated themselves
on the excellence of their wet weather plan
and set off for a walk on the moor.

*****

The internet connection died half way through our holiday and I have some catching up to do including this post which I intended to publish on Thursday. After a sunny day at home it feels strange to write about this very wet day on Dartmoor but I wanted to mention the lovely Rugglestone Inn and recommend it to anyone visiting Dartmoor this summer. I also wanted to show a proper English pub to my friends who have never visited this country.

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for this. i dream of going there. Really. With any luck, i'll get there sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely place - have just followed your link and the wisteria is to die for - obviously May is a good month to visit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beats Witherspoons hands down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Naturally I checked the Ales, then the wine, then the sample menu and THEN I looked at the place.

    Which is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousJuly 25, 2011

    Oh I love that area! There is a little self catering barn within shouting distance, in which we used to stay occasionally before our family grew too large.
    Happy times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a lovely half full story...

    ReplyDelete
  7. AnonymousJuly 25, 2011

    What a lovely place to eat and have drinks. I must go back to Devon soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your comments on the rain reminded me of a trip we took to Ireland, we thought it had finally stopped raining when we saw golfers, but quickly realized they were just playing in the rain.
    It wouldn't be a walk on the moors without rain would it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. always important to have a Plan B

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even in the rain it looks charming.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful.I had an immediate picture of my ultra houseproud sister-in-law washing the roof. I'm sure to remember Mr M's explanation next time the rain settles in fro a while.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.