Wednesday 27 April 2011

Easter in a Country Church

When MrM was a little boy
he watched his father shaving
and then he said
"What do you DO, Daddy?"

and he says that his father paused
in the middle of shaving
and thought for a moment
before he replied

"I preach the word of God"

and that is what he still does,
long after his 'retirement'
at his two country churches:

St. Andrew, Thornhaugh
and here at
St. Mary the Virgin, Wansford.

On Easter Sunday
the church is decorated with love
to celebrate the Risen Christ

and the pews are full
with friends from the parish

who give thanks
for the continued ministry of
Thomas, their parish priest.

14 comments:

  1. That's beautiful. Christ is Risen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful post Mrs. M.

    Sing praises, for Death is defeated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mrs. M.
    This is possibly one of the most beautiful posts I have ever read.
    I want to be in those sacred places and hear that gentle voice filled with wisdom, love and adoration for this time of year.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second Ellen - poetry again Alice sheer poetry.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Warmest best Easter wishes to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely. My grandpa was a vicar, well past his retirement, and I can never go into a church without thinking of him. It is an admirably selfless life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I would like to visit those parishes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I worked for a clergyman once, and it was quite amazing how many people asked why on earth he needed a secretary, and what he did on the other six days of the week! The churches look lovely and oddly familiar.

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the lovely pictures and affectionate tribute. If I was answering a slightly older Mr M today, I might say a little more fully: ‘Over the years I have tried to preach the word of God and administer the sacraments, whilst caring for the people committed to my charge.’ It has been worthwhile – and kept me on my toes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think even after the paasage of a few years that I prefer the shorter version.

    Preaching is as much about actions as words of course.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.