Tuesday 20 November 2012

Food for Honey Badgers

You will need lots of lemons.
Lemon rind, lemon juice and lemon zest.
You want to make your cheeks
hurt ever so slightly
before the sweetness settles.


And three eggs.
If you were making a bigger cake
you would need more.
And a dipper and a half of flour
with a handful of ground almonds.


You must have a special fish bowl
to beat your eggs.
If you haven't got one
your cake will not be a success.
I'm sorry about that.


The drizzle on this cake
is not up to prize-winning standards
but it does elegantly show off
the charming olive wood board
that I bought from Pernes-Les-Fountaines.


This cake is dedicated to Nick Cummins,
hero of the Australian rugby team
who is inspired by the honey badger:

“The honey badger travels 40 kilometres a day
and is one of the most fearless
and fiercest animals in the world.
So that’s something for me to aspire to.”


Lemon Drizzle cake is MasterM's favourite.
He understands a thing or two about being brave...
he's just been cage diving with sharks.
My very own little honey badger.

10 comments:

  1. That Master M.
    He kills me.

    Middle spent the day with a Lamborghini Aventador.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it would take more than lemon drizzle cake to get me into a shark cage....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your broken egg shell picture. Not so keen on the shark cage picture you conjured up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My eldest loves lemon drizzle cake so I hope this doesn't mean he will want to go cage diving with sharks ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your description of how your mouth feels just before the sweetness settles in! And the picture of that cake, well it makes my mouth feel just like that!
    Having two male childen fond of all kinds of . . . adventures, I can only say they haven't got around to diving with sharks yet, though I believe hearing about them rappelling down mountains probably gives me the same exact feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Swimming with Sharks? Eek! I think it deserves a Lemming Drizzle Cake. I have been toying with the idea of making one today but found that I have not enough lemmings. Perhaps tomorrow even if I don't have a fish bowl...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Liz in Missouri (USA)November 20, 2012

    YUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!
    Cage diving. Sharks. Do we believe that if we tell them to be careful, they will be? (Or is it the karma of the cake that brings them back safely?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no.

    What will he think of next?

    Or maybe it's better not to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no.

    What will he think of next?

    Or maybe it's better not to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm taking comfort in the thought that at least there is a cage. Did he take pictures?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.