Monday 14 December 2009

...half-spent was the night...

Here are the white surpliced scholars
as they assemble for the procession.

Here is the great Nave
filled with children and parents.

The expectant murmur stills
as the lights are dimmed
and the procession enters.

The soft glow and smell of candlewax mingles
with the soaring sound of the choir
and it is as it was last year
and the years before.

Afterwards we drink mulled wine in the Chapter House
and wish friends a peaceful Christmas.

For some it was the first year
that they were part of this very special experience
but for our family it was the last time.

Lo, how a rose e'er blooming
From tender stem hath sprung!
Of Jesse's lineage coming,
As men of old have sung.
It came, a flow'ret bright,
Amid the cold of winter,
When half-spent was the night.

Es ist ein Ros' Entsprungen
Praetorius

10 comments:

  1. Life is full of endings, but new beginnings, with all of the their excitement, are the consequence of endings. I hope you drank to new beginnings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes the hairs on the back of my arms stand up. And remember my own school days.

    We have 9 lessons and carols in the village next week. But it isn't quite the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully described (in both posts) and as so often, a parallel to our last Nine Lessons last night , so I don't have to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful, as always.
    Paola

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poignant and so beautifully captured.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this loveliness - evocative of a beautiful and treasured night

    ReplyDelete
  7. How sad for you! We have just been to one of those events in just the same place - and although it was the last one for a big boy, we have a little one coming along behind. But I did my last infant nativity a few years ago, and that was deeply sad - I suppose the next opportunity to see one would be as a granny - or maybe we will have fled to the circus by then! (PS I didn't know you were allowed to take photos inside the building!)

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favourite bit of the post was the mulled wine. I'm not as classy as the rest of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot imagine what it is like to be in that place - full of history and stories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There was a time when I would have been able to identify this church by the lattice "bridge" running across the nave (?). But those days appear to be gone. Where is this?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.