Thursday 17 December 2009

(just for the record)

1.
It is the Department Christmas lunch.
40 members of staff are in festive mood
surrounded by crackers, wine and good food.

2.
The Admissions Tutor is in San Francisco.
We miss his cheerful banter.

3.
The academic who took us to Stonehenge
is giving the closing speech at the Royal Society.
He claims that he would rather be with us.

4.
The enthusiastic academic who reminds me of Ali
describes her family Christmas
on a farm in the heart of Wales.
It sounds noisy.

5.
I turn around to see the deputy Exams Officer
and the academic who dreams of golf courses
looking like identical twins with their paper hats.
They have worked together for a long time
and they are very good friends.

6.
One end of the table is all Professors.
The conversation sparkles.

7.
We say farewell to the young academic
who will be starting a new job
in the snowy north of Norway.

8.
The academic who shall be nameless
has just won a large Research Grant.
There is much applause and raising of glasses.

9.
The academic who has just turned 40
leads a crowd
down the street
to the nearest pub.
I hear later
it was only the beginning
of a long evening.

10.
I pay the bill,
supervised by the Head of Department,
who hasn’t been drinking wine
so he can still add up.

11.
The Head of Department leaves
to chair a session
at the Copenhagen Climate Change summit.

12.
I go home to look after MissM
who has acute tonsillitis.

*****

These are good people.
They are dedicated to their students and their research
but they know how to party too.
It is a privilege to work with them
.

10 comments:

  1. It sounds so lovely...I especially like those paper hats that come in the crackers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JUST FOR THE RECORD!!!

    My favourite kind of post!!

    I wish Miss M a quick and easy recovery.

    P.S. They are all so lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope MissM gets rid of that tonsilitis before the big day :o)

    (ps the dyslexia of the fingers nearly caused me to write tinsilitis this morning - how topical!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Head of Department may have wished he'd been drinking by the time he got to the Copenhagen Summit!

    Hope MissM is feeling better very soon.

    K x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get well soon, Miss M.

    And share the paracetamol with your mother, should she need it this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a super party. Get well soon Miss M.

    ReplyDelete
  7. they do sound lovely and my goodness the conversation must indeed sparkle -

    Poor miss m - get better soon..

    ReplyDelete
  8. This reminds me of the best academic parties...I do miss the spark of those events.

    I misread one line as - "who hasn’t been drinking wine
    so he can still stand up" - ha!

    Here's hoping for a rapid recovery for MissM. Recommending ice chips.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love when you are able to work and actually enjoy both your job and your coworkers.
    Speedy recovery for MissM!
    Paola

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post, and hoping Miss M is soon in the pink!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.