Tuesday 29 April 2014

On the Boardwalk










A pristine environment of sand dunes, fynbos and freshwater lagoon. In the spring the Southern Right whales swim close to the shore but now in the autumn there are only gulls and sea spray. The beach seems drab and uninteresting in the grey evening light until you look closely and see delicate pink shells, fluorescent green algae, bright blue jellyfish and seaweed the colour of amethyst stones. If you are lucky, low angles of light will illuminate the crests of the waves and the beauty of it will hurt your heart a little. You have to be patient, look carefully and ignore the people waiting, impatiently.

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I can see why you wanted to enjoy it and made your men wait for you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such treasures to be found - beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impatient as they might have been, they have a lovely smile. THanks for looking closely as those colours are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Alice!! This takes me back soooo much. I have not been to SA for nearly 10 years now(August 2004). We stayed in Hermanus and took a boat out from Gans Baai to look for Southern Right Whales. The boats were only supposed to go up to certain distance of the whales, but the whales are so curious to come up to you regardless for a look- a humbling experience. We seriously considered sending our eldest to Michaelhouse for his last two years(www.michaelhouse.org). But I bottled in the end and couldn't agree. He was up for it. Neither of ours have ever boarded. I was just aware of how much his younger brother had missed him whilst he was on his rugby tour and so not on holiday , as such with us. Sorry for the long post. But I watch to learn about MasterM with great interest as a result of this and would so love to know what made him want to study in Stellenbosch and ultimately work in Africa..... mins is a long story and this is supposed to be a comment , which I don't do very often but I love your blog x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mine is a long story is what I meant to write

    ReplyDelete
  7. AnonymousMay 03, 2014

    There is always something interesting left on a beach.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.