Wednesday 23 September 2009

faces beyond the lens

Lecia writes from the shores of Seattle
and takes evocative photos
that make me long to visit that faraway city.
She wrote a thoughtful post
about photographic identity and creativity
that made me consider the limits of my own style.

Lecia particularly enjoys taking informal family portraits.
I struggle with portraiture because
I see the potential of the image
but I prefer to ask permission
and as soon as you speak to the person
the charm of the unposed photograph is lost.

You can, if you are confident and the person agrees,
move to a posed portrait situation
and for the very skilled photographer
this can communicate everything
that the unposed image promised and more.
Sadly, I am not that talented or confident.

My favourite photographer of people
is Maryam, who travels to exotic places
and captures the soul of the person with her lens.
I have no idea where she finds the courage
to face the men of Yemen, Egypt and Kashmir.
I think that she has a wonderful gift.

7 comments:

  1. I'm blushing!! Thank you so much for this mention. I think it's easy for me to take candid photos of people because I practice every day, all the time, on my children and their friends. I don't like photos that look posed so I try not to be noticed with my camera. I don't think I've ever taken a candid photo of a stranger; certainly haven't published one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never thought about having a photography style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not confident at all taking people pictures. I wish I were... K x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely post, Alice. I had already discovered Maryam's blog, and went over to "A Day That Is Dessert"........ my word, but its a beautiful one.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alice, these are great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am still reading even if not blogging and i have enjoyed this. My husband could be tha man on the ladder today. He's gilding oustside.
    I enjoy Maryams blog and having recently visited Marrakech I can tell you that the only requirement for taking a photograph of a person there, fierce or otherwise, is a pocket full of coins.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness...........this is so so lovely! Thank you! I am just incredibly flattered.

    PS And Jackie, after living in Morocco for 8 years, I have only once EVER paid anyone for a photo, and that was for a 1/2 hour photo shoot.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.