Monday 29 August 2011

Student Finance

MrM
So...do you understand
how we are organising your finance
when you are at university?
MissM
What happens if I want to buy
sports equipment?

Scheherazade
(Virginia Frances Sterrett)

MrM
Like golf clubs?
MissM
I don't think that is very likely...
but if I wanted to buy a squash racket?
MrM
You could have my squash racket.

Scheherazade
(Edmund Dulac)

MissM
What about a hockey stick?
MrsM
You have your old hockey stick from school.

Scheherazade
(Umberto Brunelleschi)


MissM
And a pole?
MrM and MrsM
A pole???

Scheherazade
(Leon Bakst)


MissM
For pole dancing.
I've heard that it is very empowering
and there is a club at uni.

Scheherazade
(Leon Bakst)

MrM (faintly)
We would pay for the pole
because that is...errr...
equipment.

19 comments:

  1. Oh Mr. M. It is indeed a brand new world on which we gaze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, and there I was, thinking she wanted to be a pole vaulter. Clearly, this is a whole different generation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Empowering" only in the sense that it gives one the power to torment one's parents...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, MissM! You go, girl!

    When I bought my first condo, I asked my parents if I could have one of the beds from their house, and they said no. When I mentioned I was thinking of getting a waterbed, they suddenly decided that yes, I could take one of the spare beds with me.

    Good job frightening the parents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just imagine what my class thought when I told them my clssroom aide in (age 73) was volunteering at the polls - voting polls - I did convince the teens that she was not poledancing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor MrM - perhaps a coffee cake could revive him :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't you just LOVE her???!!??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that MissM! She has MrM's measure, I think.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wrapping and little fingers - oh yes! I'm still chuckling. What a wondeerful way to start the day!
    Bobby x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor MrM, I think MissM is teasing him. I bet he hopes she is teasing him!

    ReplyDelete
  11. She is a cheeky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  12. And of course only MissM would make it all so beautifully artful and civilised as your images suggest!

    ReplyDelete
  13. In fact it's supposed to be the best and most complete excercise for your body.
    I like this uni!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hysterical! MissM is clearly quick witted and in charge.

    ReplyDelete
  15. And to think that I thought her so demure!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your daughter is simply fabulous. She's going to have a wonderful time at uni!

    (And here was I thinking she was after walking poles)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Send her over here, and let a cranky old feminist dismantle the notion that pole dancing is in any way empowering.

    I have a reading list for her. I am far from joking.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.