Tuesday 1 October 2013

of doorbells


Am I the only tourist visiting Florence
fascinated by the panels of doorbells
beside the huge doors of old buildings?


The gleaming brass,
classic pre-war designs,
and the names. Oh, the names!


I would have taken more photos
but MrM was expressing exaggerated patience
in a most distracting manner.


Each button, each name is a story
with a different ending.
Press this one or that one -
it is so tempting.


Life is full of possibilities...
even the tiniest of choices
makes a difference.


You have to be brave though...
no pressing the button
and running away.

11 comments:

  1. Poor Biscardi!
    Paper and tape.
    I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you just know that over here they would all be named with paper like Biscardi, only with slightly less legible handwriting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mendoza Valderrama, but I get it, the bell is stunning AND shiny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly what you mean by exaggerated patience. It's a very effective gambit. The plastic doorbells in a certain divided house near us are all unmarked and one of them is just protruding wires.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All so shiny and well cared for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exaggerated patience ... do our men practice when we're not looking? Mine can nuance his with great finesses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All those brass names are so beautiful. What happens when someone moves? Perhaps that is what happened to Biscardi?

    ReplyDelete
  8. funny. But you're right... you don't see them in this country...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Liz in Missouri USAOctober 01, 2013

    And what's even more fascinating to me is that you noticed them. I'm don't think I would have, not to mention the study of the names. I think you are a rare shiney doorbell yourself, MrsM. Thank you for sharing! Too Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Liz in Missouri USAOctober 01, 2013

    I wonder if there is a tiny little shop somewhere where one can have their name stamped on their doorbell plate by a wise old Geppetto-like craftsman.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, yes! Aren't the buttons and doors grand??? We were in Florence in May and took so many photos of both! We were always trying to sneak peaks inside when a door would open. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.