Wednesday 2 November 2011

making a difference


The security guard at the entrance to campus
has been there since the start of term.
He is supposed to check car permits
and direct visitors to the car parks
but after a while he recognised staff
and waved to them as they drove past
and soon people were waving back
and opening their windows to greet him.
This morning the relief security guard
stood there with his hands in his pockets
and I missed the smile and friendly wave.
I had not realised how important it was to me.

5 comments:

  1. One does not always realize that those with the smallest jobs can make the biggest difference.

    Profound?
    Two bourbons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I'm sure you'll be letting the regular security guard know how much he is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny how they become important without us realizing. We pass a lady on her bike every morning. She has become my barometer for how late we are for school. I'm sure she doesn't notice us, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post. It reminds me of the security guard on our campus, who was exactly the same and will forever be known as Ed the Gate. Hehe, I'm laughing just typing that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The small things in life that make it so much better.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.