Thursday 1 March 2012

pink hyacinths


At the start of the day
the insipid pink hyacinths annoyed me.
(I know it's ridiculous - don't judge me)
And it didn't get any better.

The Turkeys of Disgruntlement*
were rushing around my head,
squawking and gobbling,
and everything seemed difficult.

At the end of the day
the youngest academic passed my door
and then turned back to say goodnight.
He said "I'm going home...
it's been a horrible day...
too much to do and too little time."


Just those few words made a difference
because I felt very ashamed
of my miserable self-centred attitude.
The squawking and the gobbling
of the turkey multitude faded away

By the time that I had got home
the hyacinths had started to unfold
their fragrant blush pink spikes.
And I felt grateful for their pale beauty.

I'm allowed to change my mind.

*****

* The Turkeys of Disgruntlement
are Silverpebble's invention
but they are coming to live with me.

I'm off to France for the weekend!
See you next week.

16 comments:

  1. Have the most wonderful time in France.

    ReplyDelete
  2. à tout à l'heure ma cherie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can have my Turkeys of Disgruntlement too, if you like, and keep a flock. Mine are fighting a losing battle here as Spring appears...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love the notion of the Turkeys of Disgruntlement - they've been visiting a few people in our house this week too.

    Give France a big kiss from me.

    N x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leave the turkeys at home and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got a bit Turkey living with me too at the moment...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of Turkeys of Disgruntlement; they've been visiting here too. I was hoping they were fieldfares, but they're definitely turkeys.

    Have a great time in France and leave the dindes de mecontentement behind.

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. And yes, isn't it lovely that we are all allowed to change, our minds, our perspectives, our circumstances! Surely the Turkeys of Disontent will not dare follow you to France!If they do I am sure some French chef will be glad to divest you of them!

    Have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, dear, do you suppose discontent and disgruntlement are turkies of a feather? I hope so for my sake !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I like that about the Turkeys.

    Have a smashing time in France - overdo everything!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a wonderful weekend and a very Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. have a lovely time, I look forward to the pictures and stories. I see from the comment before mine you are celebrating a birthday, happy days ahead! XO

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the Turkeys of Disgruntlement. I may be borrowing that phrase!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.