Thursday 6 September 2012

two, zero, one, two


Yesterday the road block was opened
and the armed police had disappeared,
the heavy security barrier was pushed back
and the canopied space where paratroopers
waited to search vehicles was empty.
Soon all the fences, buildings,speed-bumps
lighting and flagpoles will be dismantled
and the Olympic Village will vanish.
Today, as I arrived at the Department,
a security guard walked in front of me
with four large gold helium balloons
floating above him, backwards and forwards,
the numbers glittering in the bright sunlight.
It was a strange moment that captured
something of our surreal Olympic summer.

3 comments:

  1. A bit like the strange and unfamiliar feel home has after returning from a long vacation ... it looks the same, you love it, you're happy to be here ... but? But what? A vacancy... a space.. a change. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a lovely image. I'm hoping the legacy of London 2012 will be the pride in GB and the new cheerful disposition of peopple in the city. Long may it last.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't remember another Olympics (and Paralympics) being followed like this!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.