Thursday 24 February 2011

these things made me smile...

1.
a bouquet of lilies and roses from MrM
because he always remembers the day
that he first met MrsM

2.
MissM, sweet in her grey wool beret

3.
Prince Harry in a china blue check shirt
filling his car up with petrol
at the local garage

4.
a council worker, perched on a ladder,
solemnly cleaning the bus stop sign

5.
an email from Rhiannon,
baking goddess and music buddy

6.
Kim and Louise, postgraduates,
who bring me biscuits at coffee time

7.
the academic who is now 41 and a half
and loves to drive fast cars

8.
spotting my photos in the proof copy
of the Spain field trip poster

9.
the academic who describes the renovation
of his house in Normandy
so that I feel that I am there too,
planting the vines

10.
sharp, sharp green aftershave
in the corridor outside my office

11.
the bustle and noise of Department tours
with prospective students and their parents
anxiously peering into my office
as they walk by

12.
fluorescent shimmer on wet pavements
and a light grey evening sky

13.
...and my work blog
Living with Geographers
has been archived by the British Library...

you will recognise all of the posts
but I hope it makes you smile too...

13 comments:

  1. Oh, Alice, dear
    your world
    is
    so
    full.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a privilege to read your words and hope for a glimpse of your days. Obviously I am not alone in my feelings. Way to go Alice! XO
    ps word verification not usually into this but must say it is "chear".

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Prince Harry in a bright blue check shirt
    filling his car up with petrol
    at the local garage"

    Really?

    ReplyDelete
  4. look at you.
    wow
    oh
    wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Firstmost, bake that man a coffee cake soon!
    Secondmost, Living with Geographers-hurrah, very well deserved, I feel proud to be one of your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The smiles have spread! It is tremendously cool to hear about the British Library (not to mention Prince Harry, I can just imagine the blue against his red hair!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. love this post, like a smiles just for the record!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stylish as ever.

    Geographers Blog supurb.

    Green with envy re flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Things that made me smile were seeing myself described as a baking goddess and music buddy, thus making a nice thrsday even nicer :) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. It does make me smile to know that Prince Harry pumps his own gas, especially since I do not.

    ReplyDelete
  11. yes, I don't know whether to be more excited about the flowers or the archiving myself. Both FAB.
    Not to mention your girl in her beret.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My smile is really a BIG one for the things you listed. Congrats to you and a big hug and kiss (may I? On the cheek?) to that super adorable MrM.
    I won't comment on the Prince Harry bit, I'll pretend it's SUCHa normal thing to witness, i'n it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Alice,

    I have just read some of The Magpie Files and now the sight of morning, your writing is inspiring and your photos are simply fabulous. I'm so new to blogging myself and at the moment I think my husband's the only one that's reading it but the thing I am loving more than anything is just reading all these wonderful blogs I keep stumbling across, like yours.
    Thank you for writing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.