Monday 7 June 2010

The Shine of the Sun


Be not afeard; the isle is full of noises,
Sounds and sweet airs that give delight and hurt not.
Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
Will hum about mine ears; and sometimes voices
That, if I then had waked after long sleep,
Will make me sleep again; and then, in dreaming,
The clouds methought would open and show riches
Ready to drop upon me that, when I waked,
I cried to dream again.

'The Tempest'


*****

1.
'the isle is full of noises'
the Lithuanian students next door had a party...

2.
...and a very smoky barbeque.
(maybe 'sweet airs' is not quite accurate here)

3.
maybe the 'sweet airs' refers to
the roses in my garden
which are blooming profusely.
Obviously neglect suits them.

4.
'a thousand twangling instruments'
that would be my iPod...

5.
it has to 'hum about mine ears'
because otherwise it drives my family mad.

6.
I have a particular penchant
for The National at the moment.
MissM refers to it as
'bearded lady music'.

7.
I absolutely adore
the gravelly baritone
of Matt Berninger.

And his lyrics.

8.
I went shopping with MissM...
(more about this later...
but that just about covers the 'riches' part)

9.
Just as we left Oxford Street
'the clouds methought [did] open'
and thick, heavy drops of rain
fell out of a blue sky.

10.
I stared at the TFL poster
and tried to absorb the words
by saying them over and over again in my head.

11.
When I got home I lay on the bed
and fell fast asleep with exhaustion...
and 'when I waked,
I cried to dream again.'

12.
So...
that was my weekend...
but Shakespeare said it better than I could.

How was yours?

8 comments:

  1. My weekend was fine, thanks. Mostly it entailed perspiring, attending a theatrical performance that turned out to be a bit mature for my twelve-year-old (oops!), napping, singing in front of people and getting mosquito bites. Oh, and did I mention perspiring?

    P.S. Bearded-lady music because that's who listens to it? Or because it's that weird?

    P.P.S. Why is my word verif "urrineo" anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My roses are blooming into overdrive as well - maybe neglect is the way to go because they are absolutely gorgeous at the moment

    As for the weekend - pottering describes it best :o) Himself has worked tirelessly grouting the patio and I have played with fabric for a good proportion of the time - so the iron had a good workout then :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mainly gardening........heaven.... :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My weekend was nowhere near as poetic... cleaning bathrooms and catching up with stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My main working day is Saturday.
    But then again, my weekdays are kind of free (if one doesn't count cleaning, washing, chores and all the rest, that is).

    ReplyDelete
  6. love The National!
    we had sunshine on Saturday - which was long overdue

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't hear of The National but it looks like I might recognise the music if I heard it...must check it out :-) I loved those poems in the underground and other interesting posters, miss all that here in Far North Queensland but I did get to go for a nice horseride this weekend and didn't have to watch out for any trains :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's my version..
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdaisy92/787531710/in/set-72157594367998466/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.