Friday 22 October 2010

My camera and I

I have a confession to make...
I am not getting on with my new camera.

My photographic style - such as it is -
is about rapid identification of images
and so I need a very fast camera.
The new camera has lots of tiny dials and switches
and is unbearably slow to set up a shot.

Another thing that is important to me
is the ability to see what the outcome will be on the screen...
I only take a few shots at a time - perhaps two or three -
and so I can't afford to make mistakes.
The new camera has a Smart Auto function
and it corrects effects that I want to achieve
which is very frustrating
when you cannot go back to recreate a shot.

And I really don't want weird Hipstamatic photos

Finally, my new camera is only slightly bigger
but it does not fit in my coat pocket;
this might sound a ludicrous complaint
but I had not realised how important it is to me.

Fortunately, MasterM needs a camera
because he dropped his.

Who knows - perhaps he will send more photos home...

16 comments:

  1. The perfect solution.

    (I admire you for admitting that you don't like it.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. now you know what you like and don't like. progress for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you I prefer my older camera, so the new one gets used as the 2nd option. Shame isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Choosing a new camera is such a leap of faith - I would pay a premium for a try before you buy option. Luckily, I hit on one which works for me (if you'd like a loan, shout).

    But at least Master M will be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, so that explains the lack of photos of coffee and walnut cakes................ :O)))))))

    ReplyDelete
  6. so frustrating. I spent ages choosing one for miss K and it's terrible. fortunately she's happy with it but........ I'm Master M will love it x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing beats my pocket size camera. I completely understand your feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Probably best not to persevere with an unfulfilling relationship. I hope you find a pocket-worthy replacement soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm exactly the same - prefer my old one. But the new one was an (expensive) gift, so feel I must persevere with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The size thing is quite a problem, isn't it. I really like my new camera, but because it's larger I don't carry it around like I used to my tiny old one. Daughter says I need a phone with a better camera -perhaps she's right. (Is she offering to provide one, I wonder?)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you can pass it on to Master M.

    And like blackbird, I really admire you for being able to admit it isn't right and start again.

    K x

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is impossible to tell if a camera will be right for you until you've had time to use it. One of my least expensive cameras was a delight, and - unfortunately - the very expensive digital SLR I'm "using" now is No Fun At All - honestly, I sort of grit my teeth whenever I open the bag. Very sad. Also annoying, as photography is a big part of my work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. To my mind finding the right camera is like finding a good hairdresser. Very, very difficult to be sure when you first meet but if it clicks the relationship is beyond the measure of man.

    ReplyDelete
  14. He dropped it....it doesn't surprise me after the last post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I saw your first photo, posted yesterday - I was struck by a similarity it has with a photo I took
    last autumn.
    Amazing... two scenes, taken half way around the world from each other,
    can be so kindred!
    Hope you can take a look!

    callibythesea.blogspot.com

    p.s. Love reading your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It took me a while to get used to a bigger camera, now it doesn't bother me. The pictures are great!

    Get this my word verification is spode!How funny is that?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.