Tuesday 26 January 2010

Between two oceans


I spoke to MasterM on Skype.

He showed me around his room which is small, functional and already very untidy. He hopes to swap to be on another corridor and so some unfortunate person will shortly be getting the full force of MasterM's persuasive powers.

He told me about his busy timetable of daily lectures and assessments. He has been asked to take an additional class in Afrikaans because he scored so low on the initial assessment (that would be a zero, folks) but I told him how impressed we were with his other scores considering how long it is since he did any academic work. He will be purchasing the course text books this week.

The rest of the time he is packing with good things to do. He has friends all over the campus that he knew before he arrived and new friends of those friends. They are going to parties, arranging mountain picnics of beer and biltong, working out and playing rugby, planning weekend breaks by the sea, preparing for the Two Oceans half marathon.

He said that Stellenbosch is the most beautiful and amazing place he has ever lived in and that life is outrageously hectic but crazy-fun.

I suggested to him that he could always come back and go to university nearer to home.

He laughed. "It's O.K." he said "I think I am sorted now."

19 comments:

  1. sounds like he is well and truly sorted!

    I loved those first few weeks of uni!

    OMG - word verification? Ladless!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Toledo that is a beautiful image. I had to chuckle at his response to your suggesting he go to school closer to home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it was worth a try anyway. And please transport me immediately to the place in that photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like he's sorted to me, hope you aren't missing him too much, being able to skype sounds impressive and must make it easier. when are you planning a visit or will he be too busying partying ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't Skype just the best invention ever :o) sounds like he's living life to the full and enjoying every moment of it! Long may that continue - Good Luck with the Afrikaans MasterM

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW for the shot and YAY for SKYPE!
    Paola

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh yes, poor lad, he's having a terrible time, isn' he?

    (although learning afrikaans can't be a walk in the park...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh it sounds (and looks) amazing. And knowing his persuasive powers, I'm sure he'll have no trouble convincing someone to change rooms!

    Mountain picnics sound lovely, but I had to look up biltong in the dictionary!

    K x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Voordvakker, voordvakker de dak voort allookakker.

    (is the only Aafrikaans I remember from sharing a house with a bunch of Sth Africans. It is fairly senseless but a little funny.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beer on a mountain? Is everyone but me okay with that?

    I feel the way you did when I posted a picture of Littlest cycling next to a canal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm in awe of it all. The photo is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Phew. It all sounds very good. It is so odd how they turn into people out in the world like this. He does sound sorted.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a relief to know he sounds so happy and settled. Hard for you in some ways but good in others.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Souns fantastic, but I have to ask... what on earth is biltong?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ms Alice, I'm afraid I must interrupt your evening to point out, as this is a part of the process, I am told, that I am passing on a Sunshine Award to you. I realise how feebly patronising this will be! I offer it humbly and in the sure knowledge that your sophisticated bloggery needs no such accolade! Mx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think Skype is so wonderful - especially when you can turn the video on and see the pictures on their walls, and check that they don't look peaky. And keep remembering the words of Kahlil Gibran - you have obviously got it right so far - he has the confidence to go far, but also likes to talk to you. What else can a mother hope for?

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your blog. Your son is in a beautiful town in South Africa - I grew up in Stellenbosch and have now been living in the UK for the past 10 years and everytime I go back to the beautiful mountains and winelands I just miss home! Skype is the next best thing!!!! Hope you can go and visit soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.